Reflexiones sobre el Calentamiento Global

Iniciado por garsed, Julio 24, 2006, 06:52:57 PM

Tema anterior - Siguiente tema

45rpm

a greta le va el peligro, por fin una foto feliz

Day 10

We are on the move again. It has been a glorious day. The big purple spinnaker was flying all yesterday afternoon and into the night, and we dropped it as the wind increased around 2200. The boat has been soaring - absolutely sending it! 10-20 knots all day. Amazing. The hum as La Vagabonde starts to plane is a familiar feeling now - and as the sea state flattens we are going even faster.

We have played around with which tack to sail on - right now the wind is coming from exactly opposite where we want to go - we are sailing angles, rather than dead downwind, so the decision of whether to sail more east or more north of our rhumb line is our main challenge right now. We are heading east for now, due to its better VMG (velocity made good - the speed we are moving in the direction of Lisbon). We can only sail about 10-20 degrees course on the other tack.

Not only has the sailing been good - but so has the camaraderie. We cracked open the bottle of Macallan and had a small dram before dinner, as well as a much awaited bag of crisps (a high commodity onboard!) and sat around our dinner table listening to Elayna play the guitar and sing. She has a beautiful voice.

For me - the only Crew member with no family onboard - moments like this are particularly special - to feel the closeness and love of community.

It feels like a bit of a come down after a week of poring over a challenging weather forecast - lots of upwind sailing - careful positioning - slow progress - with a very windy front inevitably awaiting us. So relief was in the air - at least from Riley and myself. Relief but never total relaxation .. we are not even halfway if you count the miles - and I'm sure the North Atlantic will have another challenge to throw our way - so we are as ever - on watch! ... and awake at 0300am.

PP2000

The boat has been soaring.

nautas del foro, ¿qué mierda significa eso'

45rpm

Day 11

We've just had our first +200NM day. It brought its fair share of excitement.

After surfing all night downwind between 10 - 20 knots (so fun!) we received our stark reminder to pace ourselves.  We had been awaiting a wind shift from south westerly winds to north westerly - and at breakfast the shift arrived together with an ominous black cloud. It was - as we said afterwards - what most sailors would call the stuff of nightmares: a 60 degree wind shift, an increase from 20-45 knots and lashing rain. Thankfully it was in the day, so we spotted it and - whilst we didn't expect quite that much wind -
I had at least managed to get my gear on in time. Riley and Elayna were not so lucky!

Maybe the most striking thing for me during our day of wind shifts and gusts and scary clouds - was how baby Lenny just stayed so calm - sitting in his high chair, or rolling around the couch playing with whatever objects he can find ... sun cream stick, the kill-cord to the dinghy, and his new discovery - the pot of pens, and the pink highlighter ... yes I can imagine you all know how that one went!

We have slowed a little now - so time to pop up the code 0.  Hopefully we get a bit of north in before the wind shifts back to the south west today to maintain slightly more pressure.

Planning our half way party for a few days time ... cookies on the agenda. Any suggestions??

PP2000

Ponte a taladrar el casco como si no hubiera mañana, hijueputa

usuario

Cita de: PP2000 en Noviembre 23, 2019, 04:45:24 PM

No bird soars too high if it soars with its own wings

45rpm

Day 12

The day started with no wind. Riley and I worried we had ended up too far south. So we spent a few hours creeping north - to much avail - awaiting us by 1000am was 15-20 knots from the south west and we have been sailing in it ever since! We flew the spinnaker all day, and have had a jib and main all night in various different reef set-ups. With a front approaching and the excitement of the last few days not far from our mind - we are being extra cautious of those 'big black clouds' on the horizon ...

What a difference a day can make. If we were are all flowers - today we bloomed. Music played - we did our laundry - danced a little - not to mention some stunning sailing - we did some exercise (the Swedes are particularly good at keeping up the routine in this department!) - we all freshened up with a quick shower, shave and so on - and had two great meals with our (amazingly) still crisp lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and so on for lunch and a stellar gnocchi and vegetable dinner made by Elayna. Riley and I caught up on some much needed shut-eye with our longest naps of the trip. I think we made 5 hours each?! All in all - perhaps a typical Saturday at sea?

One thing we have all noticed is the traffic. Can you believe in this wide expanse of ocean that we have sailed within visual distance of four cargo ships and a fishing boat in the last day? So I guess you would call it a busy traffic day too ... it's sort of nice to have the company - in a way - to know we aren't the only ones out here - but also strange, to feel like our little private bubble isn't as private as we thought!

Don Pésimo

Me cago en el Sistema Solar

k98k

Greta tranquila que los filetes están en camino

PP2000

Cita de: m.y.e.u. en Noviembre 24, 2019, 10:11:43 AM
Cita de: PP2000 en Noviembre 23, 2019, 04:45:24 PM

No bird soars too high if it soars with its own wings

aah, vaya... mola!
zanks do core!

PP2000

Cita de: Don Pésimo en Noviembre 24, 2019, 12:44:44 PM
Cita de: PP2000 en Noviembre 22, 2019, 10:08:46 PM
Cita de: k98k en Noviembre 22, 2019, 10:02:28 PM
El nuevo tesla

Ya, Tesla era serbio, eso he dicho.

Croata, pero bueno, todos somos Bratislava.

bosniocroata con rabo serbio metido en nalgas católicas, igual eso te vale, pi'oierda.... pi-jo-mier-da te digo como le digo ji-li-po-lla al gipsy... hola gipsy!

Don Pésimo

Me cago en el Sistema Solar

45rpm

Greta s´aburre

Day 13

Today is our halfway day as the crow flies. We very much feel in terms of time we are well ahead of that - but nevertheless - celebrations await. Wish us fair winds - and I'll report back later what we get up to!

Yesterday was probably our first day of what I'd call a consistent sailing. This has been such a treat after so many days of reefing, shaking out reefs, furling, hoisting and dropping various spinnakers and pouring over grib files. Finally we could relax into the flow of the day without feeling so on edge.

Around lunchtime we shook out all our reefs and at dusk we popped one in. Apart from that - it's just been straight line sailing with small adjustments. Really fast too - averaging around 9 knots, and overnight we have been even faster - this boat loves a beam reach. For the sailors out there, we have had between 18 and 28 knots 120 degree TWA (true wind angle), so glorious beam reaching with a following sea on our port quarter.

The nature of the sailing meant Riley spent the day catching up on sleep, and taking some time to write journals, organise belongings, write emails and so on. Svante and Elayna held watch for a few hours each - it's good to share the load. We all had a work out. We discovered that a fridge that is turned off is not a great place to store vegetables ... not enough air flow = one cabbage down. The otherwise most invincible passage vegetable - normally they last forever! Ate an unusual but delicious dinner of sweet potato, cous cous and vegan sausages. Almost reminiscent of a good bangers, mash and onion gravy for the Brit followers out there! A good end to a simple day.

(Lenny looks excited to be halfway ... might have something to do with the cookies Elayna plans to bake today? 🍪)

zocas

Gracias por las actualizaciones en el Hilo, 45rpm

Una navegación muy complicada e imposible para un velero con medios normales,
hubo momentos en que tenían una Baja a popa un Frente a proa y el Sebastián subiendo

A mí me parece que lo suyo para volver es no subir de 30 Norte hasta llegar a 40 Oeste,
aunque es más fácil decirlo que hacerlo pues en una ruta tan baja hay que ir contra el viento

Y en el Caribe digamos que tampoco hay tanto que ver, de allí lo que me gusta es la lluvia, pero es un sitio nada playero,
el Caribe no es caribeño salvo sitios contados: Barbuda al norte (que la arrasó un huracán) y Los cayos de Tobago al sur (Tobago cays)

jo er, pero el Algarve me pilla más cerca para ir en mi botecito

Casio

"La ONU certifica el fracaso del acuerdo del clima de París y reclama recortar las emisiones de CO2 un 8% cada año hasta 2030"

https://www.publico.es/internacional/cumbre-clima-onu-certifica-fracaso-acuerdo-clima-paris-reclama-recortar-emisiones-co2-8-ano-2030.html

un ocho por ciento acumulativo anual para impedir sobrepasar una  subida de 1,5 º Celsius. No se va a conseguir ni de coña. Ya nos  podemos dar por jodidos, menos mal que para entonces ya ´me podré marchar  de Madrid a la vertiente norte de Guadarrama, el nuevo Honolulu.

45rpm

Day 14

Another night has nearly passed. I've just come inside after furling away some headsail having seen the wind touch 30 knots a few times. The sky is wonderfully clear. If you look up it feels as if we are sailing in a dome whose ceiling is decorated entirely with glittering stars. We are doing well - averaged 10 knots right down the rhumb line in the last 4 hours.

Riley and I essentially run La Vagabonde two handed during the hours of darkness. Elayna, Svante and Greta get their rest so that they are able to take charge of life onboard - cooking, cleaning, babysitting and so on in the day - as well as giving us a hand on deck. It's a good healthy balance. (Lenny isn't quite big enough to join in but he provides much entertainment!!)

Riley and I rotate in solo shifts. For the first week or so when it was colder and we were acclimatising into shortened sleep cycles we rotated 2 on 2 off - now we have relaxed into a 3 hour watch cycle which allows for more sleep and also time to really get into the groove of the watch.

We move our sleeping quarters to the saloon berth for the night - so as not disturb anyone. Most importantly we can wake each other up if we need a hand. There are specific jobs onboard that are much easier quicker and safer with two - such as reefing, or rolling away a spinnaker. Naturally these always tend to reveal other issues - lines getting twisted, other niggly things needing sorting - so a 5 minute reef (reducing/increasing sail area) can easily turn into a 30 minute affair.

Night times can be the best times at sea. After a hot cup of coffee or other means to really wake up - in Riley's case add in a few press-ups or squats to get his heart rate going - it's down to business! Amongst watching the weather - the wind patterns - checking grib flies and adjusting sails and course accordingly - it's a wonderfully peaceful part of the day for other pastimes: reading (I just finished Cilka's Journey - a harrowing but brilliant read), writing, blogging home to you (!), exercising - or just sitting and having a good long think - star gazing - or staring and listening to the mesmerising waves and surf at the back of the boat.