Reflexiones sobre el Calentamiento Global

Iniciado por garsed, Julio 24, 2006, 06:52:57 PM

Tema anterior - Siguiente tema

45rpm

Day 19

Well that was a pretty full on day.  Now - with nightfall - the sea state has thankfully subsided slightly. The 5 metre waves today came as a stark reminder of who is in charge out here - the ocean did what it does and we managed the situation as best we could.

By managing ... I mean - it was such good fun! We surpassed yesterday and hit a top speed of 24.1 knots - surf after surf after surf hurtled La Vagabond eastwards.  Riley and I helmed the entire day and the smiles / very wide eyes said it all.  As we accelerate off the tops of the waves the boat starts to hum - faster faster faster - it's the best feeling in the world - the helm is light, the boat is flat, you are just carving through the water - I likened it to slicing a knife through soft butter (!) and then whoosh - we sink into a trough - the adrenalin kicks in as you concentrate to make sure the boat remains under control through the slow down - and then before you know it the next one swoops us up again.

We sailed 250 nautical miles averaging 10 knots - not too bad at all!

Meanwhile - life went on as usual.  Elayna made the most delicious vegan pancakes.  Everyone was shocked at my choice of lemon and sugar for a topping - apparently that's not universal?!  Another new skill honed: surfing at 20 knots (see above) whilst looking down at Lenny every 5 seconds with a different funny face playing peekaboo.  It's amazing seeing how much his cognitive levels have developed in just 3 weeks.  Greta and Svante soaked up their usual morning rays, and then held a solid effort in the tea and coffee making department.  Yes ... we are truly in a rhythm.

Just a few more days - less than 500 miles on our count.  We await Lisbon with anticipation ... and I suppose a tinge of sadness that the adventure - as every adventure does - is soon to come to an end.  But enough of that for now.  Tomorrow is the start of advent, so preparations for the celebrations Swedish style are about to begin!

45rpm

Day 20

After a day sailing east, we reaped the rewards at midnight and turned to starboard onto a course (145°) straight for Lisbon.

The previous 12 hours had been painful. As forecast, around lunchtime the wind shifted east of north so we started smashing upwind - gaining headway east. I think I actually gained air in my bunk a number of times during my afternoon nap! Lenny and Elayna relocated to the saloon as they couldn't sleep down low - it was all a bit chaotic! We reefed down heavily at dusk, and thankfully so. It's been blowing 30-40 knots all night, and it's still going!

But at midnight it all became worth it for we gained about 15 degrees wider wind angle (this generally improves comfort, safety and speed) and the boat smoothed out. We can now say "only a day left"!

That's both sad and exciting. But the sense of achievement will start to seep in - there is nothing quite like arriving somewhere and looking behind you and going "woah 3000 miles that way is America and we worked for every mile!"

Life yesterday - well it's the 1st December so Svante and Greta kept in the Christmas theme with cinnamon oatmeal (porridge). We listened to a lot of Florence and the Machine whilst Elayna and I reminisced fun times at festivals. We have almost finished all our fresh food - so excellent provisioning Elayna. Actually some credit due - we all said we have honestly not wanted for anything - it's been amazing (apart from when the tea ran out...!)

It can be hard as you approach a destination after so long at sea. Things are probably a little tense onboard. Just the anticipation of getting there really. The knowledge that we nearly can have a little space and privacy makes the boat feel a little smaller. The reality of 'real life' stuff like emails and bills and so on looms on the horizon. Land life starts to integrate with sea life. For Riley and I it means we have to be extra vigilant not to make mistakes or get too caught up in getting there. Just keep doing what we have done - safely, calmly - not let emotions drive any decisions - and we will arrive when we arrive. But yes - we are excited - very!!

Lacenaire

Dicen los de Bocs que dónde está ese cambio climático, que lo vea yo. Ahora podrán hacer el ridículo en directo para varios países.

javi

Organizamos la Cumbre en sustitución de Chile, nos posicionamos pese a lo enclenque de nuestra economía como campeones contra el cambio  y hasta nos encargamos del humor:

https://twitter.com/Miguesito2/status/1200741702128017409

Running is life. Anything before or after is just waiting

k98k

Nos va a costar una leña la mamonada esta.

Lacenaire

Ahora ser sede de mil minolles de congresos vuelve a ser malo. Cuando Gallardón era superguay.

k98k

Pues como cada congreso nos cueste 90 millones de pavos estamos listos.

Lacenaire

No creo que haya muchos así de tochos y con tanta proyección internacional.

PP2000

Madrid capital de Chile, luego que si Bratislava o qué

PP2000

usuario

k98k

45rpm

Reflections from the North Atlantic:

For what feels like the first time in the entire journey, we are pointing directly towards Lisbon. We have 100 NM left to run before we can officially announce 'mission complete'. The mission being - to safely sail Greta to Europe in time for her to attend the COP25 climate conference in Madrid.

Riley and I have spoken many times this trip about the 'mission'. About feeling like we are now part of something significant. Like this crossing had real purpose beyond the normal "go from point 'a' to point 'b'" which of course, whilst so simple, is one of the true beauties of travelling by sea: purpose.

Reading back through my messages from - unbelievably - only 23 days ago, we were discussing whether I would be the best person to help him and Elayna with the trip. I wrote to him and advised he make whatever decision was best for their safety - for there was "something bigger at stake than any of us". I ... we ... felt a pull to work together for this bigger 'thing'. There were good reasons to choose someone else - for example, the fact that I had to fly was not ideal considering what the trip represented, even though I did buy carbon offsets. What ultimately brought us together was the pull of the adventure, yes, but also a deeper common interest - a shared purpose ...

We have had many conversations on-board about the climate emergency - about how bleak the situation is. There have been some heated discussions too - is it too late? Should we still hope? Can we feel positive? Is it constructive to be afraid? To name a few.

Every discussion for me has been informative, and interesting. I've learned in much greater depth about the issues at hand - and had some ideas about how to contribute to fixing them. This was one reason I agreed to be part of this and support the crew - so in my view a successful 3 weeks!

One of my favourite conversations was with Svante and Greta yesterday. We were considering how the sailing trip that we have just done - a voyage that Greta decided was necessary for her to take - is so symbolic. On departing the USA we sacrificed any control or strict agenda. We surrendered to the ocean and to Mother Nature. We relied on science - the weather forecast - to guide us. We supported science with our own instinct for survival. We gained a unique perspective of how small we are in this big world. We compromised many of at least a Westerner's life luxuries - plenty of food, running water, fast internet access - to name a few. Despite this, we are arriving feeling richer and more fulfilled than we left.

Reflecting on what this trip was about - the bigger 'mission'- this conversation feels extremely relevant.

Whilst it could be misinterpreted this way, this trip was not about telling people what to do, or how to live. It was not about Greta or any of us travelling in the most sustainable way possible. If it was, there were probably slightly better options - although none perfect. There may have been skippers who could have joined the boat in two days without flying. There may have been boats without a diesel engine as a back up for power. There may have been vessels that could monitor their carbon footprint more closely.

This trip was about the bigger mission. It was for us to enable Greta - one of our influencers - our role models - to travel in the way that she felt was most in line with the youth climate movement message: To highlight the need for big structural change to fight the climate emergency. To make the point that there isn't a sustainable way to travel yet, and there needs to be.

'Big structural changes' - no one knows exactly what that will entail. But I think it's so beautiful that just by choosing to sail across the Atlantic, we demonstrated that it is possible to adopt 'big structural changes' into our lives - even if just for three weeks. These changes surely correspond with some of the changes necessary to solve the climate crisis: trusting science, setting aside differences and working together, sacrificing some of life's indulgences, surrendering control, compromising, staying optimistic - finding a shared sense of purpose.

By sailing across the Atlantic we have shown what it is possible to achieve if you work with nature, and not against her.

In making it to Lisbon by the power of the wind, we have in a small way, contributed to the youth climate movement. We had 'walked the walk' and 'talked the talk' so to speak. Perhaps that was our shared purpose after all ... ?

It has been a privilege to have helped Riley and Elayna sail Greta and her father safely to Europe, and ultimately to her family and her home. Being part of this project is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. It's been an opportunity to deepen my understanding of the climate emergency; to make five new friends; and best of all, to enjoy and share the purity, the perspective, and the peace that sailing across an ocean provides.

javi

Eso es que Podemos ya está al mando de la sección propagandística
Running is life. Anything before or after is just waiting